Life is busy and if we want to squeeze every bit into 24 short hours, we have to multi-task and it’s all in the timing. Here’s a couple of examples that allow me time to read, blog or best of all, enjoy quality time with my family.
First, I let my appliances help me multi-task. I’ll fill my crock-pot, load my washing machine and my dishwasher, and I have 1-2 hours to go grocery shopping (I get to avoid the noise) or vacuum or just play.
Then, I’ll load my dryer — no rocks, please — and unload my dishwasher while the dryer and crock-pot are still going. I usually still have at least a half hour for another task or more play.
In the same amount of time it takes to do one load of laundry, I’ve also washed my dishes, cooked dinner and shopped for groceries, plus I’ve either done two other tasks or I’ve done two fun things.
On a cold winter day, my morning routine helps me relax. First, I’ll throw something in the oven (I either took something out of the freezer the night before or I prepared something the night before. It could even be something store-bought.)
The hot oven will warm my kitchen/great room 5-10 degrees, saving on my heating bill while I cook for my family.
Then I’ll put some water on the stove to boil. If I’m getting on the computer, I’ll turn it on now, because it would make me wait otherwise. There’s no need to stare at a screen that long. Every few minutes saved throughout the day add up to hours at the end of the day and week.
While the water and computer do their job, I set the toaster and prepare my cup. By the time I’m ready, the water has boiled and the computer is waiting for me.
I have the luxury of a leisurely breakfast while I’m cooking lunch and enjoying some Internet time (or a great book).
Making sure I rarely do only one task at a time helps me save up hours, it works for my sanity and I get to spend more time with my family. How do you multi-task or save time for your family and yourself?
For more participants, head over to Shannon’s Rocks In My Dryer and if you’ve missed some of my previous posts, just click below.
- Cleaning Supplies In Every Room
- Large desk calendar inside guest closet
- How Do You Organize Your Home?
- Thank You Note How-To And Samples
- New Year Resolution And Thank You Notes
- Organizing Household Resources In An Address Book
- Organized In The New Year
- Put Used Christmas Cards To Good Use
- Bookcases at the Breaking Point?
- Organizing Household Binder
- Trading Card Storage
- Freezer Solution
- Child’s haircut without tears
- Homemade bread stuffing
- Plastic colander bath toy drainer/holder
- Reuse plastic grocery bags in the car
- How to increase Web site traffic?
- 16 Blog/Web site tips
- Toy storage
- Every Cookie Recipe Imaginable
- Egg Tip
- Holiday Decorating Tips and Ideas